Friday 30 March 2012

FSO - Neglected structures

 A topic I love this week -  abandoned or neglected structures.  These always catch my eye and I posted about some of them along the road where I live a few weeks ago, so only a couple of this week's shots are close to home.  I've used them before but, to me, they are too perfect for the topic to be left out.

Two years ago this little bridge was neglected...
 
a few floods later it is now abandoned:


A little hut under a tree on an historic site - that of New Zealand's first Catholic mission at Purakau.  Looks like its most recent use has been as a hunter's hut.


 I can't remember precisely where this was, around Horeke I think.  We'd pulled off the side of a Hokianga back road for lunch beside a little creek.  


 The next two were shot out the car window, along the road to Taranaki last weekend.  The second was just before Mokau. 



 This little structure once played an important part of life at the Pouto Lighthouse.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing the neglected and abandoned structures from the rest of the FSO team.  They will be here.

13 comments:

  1. Extraordinary photos. I enjoyed each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. I find it so fascinating to look through something abandoned and imagined how it was occupied and why it was abandoned. It's weird that the background you provide gives more questions than answers. And the scene is made all the more eerie by your great photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photography skills are indeed super. These are great shots and the ones in the previous post are amazing.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating abandon structures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sand has certainly reclaimed the corregated tin shelter. But I also love the series of pictures of the bridge...the second one particularly. It reminds me of a series I once saw in the New York Museum of Modern Art -- a photographer had taken a series of ten pictures over 30 years, starting with a nice house and yard. He shot each one from the exact same spot and the series started with a nice house and ended with a small hill covered wtih jungle and no house visible at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad to see the abandoned bridge especially when it's happened in such a short timescale. Corrugated tin must last indefinitely looking at the rest of your subjects. Has character though doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. the second photo of the little bridge should be a winner this week. great photo. I bet a couple of your little houses along the road aren't abandond - just very basic / not cared for homes.
    I enjoyed my visit. hugs from Friburgo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the second photo of the little bridge should be a winner this week. great photo. I bet a couple of your little houses along the road aren't abandond - just very basic / not cared for homes.
    I enjoyed my visit. hugs from Friburgo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting to see how photogenic abandoned structures often are. The ones you chose certainly are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow many abandoned properties. Great find. Happy weekend.

    FMTSO

    ReplyDelete
  11. each and every one of these is a wordless picture that says "abandonment" the bridge is really the best shout of it, and I love all of these. wow on your post today

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is interesting that you know a bit of the history of these places. That bridge is downright scary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that the photo with the two Paradise Ducks was at the little church on the Te Herake Road.

    Not much drop in the long drop though!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!