Friday 19 October 2012

FSO - Steam, Smoke or Fire

I couldn't find the fire.  Couldn't even find the smoke from the fire. No doubt the guys in the fire engine knew where it was. 


 But I knew where to find steam, dived into my archives and fished out a few from down around Rotorua, where thermal springs and mud pools abound.  This one is from Waimangu Thermal Valley, an excellent tourist destination, just south of Rotorua.  When I visited here with my brother and his family we had an 'interesting' time finding the place as I thought my niece had directions and she thought I knew where it was.  We went up and down the same stretch of road so many times a man hitchhiking at the side of the road started to recognise my car and give us a wave as we passed.  

As we walked through one the youngest eco-systems in the world we veiwed a range of geothermal activity, newly forming silica terraces and rare and unusual thermal plants.


 The next two are taken from a boat doing a tour on Lake Rotomahana.  The 1886 Mt Tarawera Eruption changed Lake Rotomahana dramatically, exploding it to 20 times its size. The lake now covers approximately 15 coalescing craters formed during the eruption. Fifteen years after that massive eruption, the lake reached its current height and is now the deepest in New Zealand's North Island. Lake Rotomahana is the newest of all New Zealand’s larger, naturally formed lakes – protected as a wildlife refuge, it's home to large numbers of birds all year round.  Wikipedia

It's a beautiful lake and has its own separate geothermal system, with amazing themal activity that can only be seen from the water.  It is claimed to be one of New Zealand's most beautiful, unspoilt, natural wilderness areas.  I certainly wouldn't argue with that. The lake and surrounding land are protected from development.



 On the same trip with Peter, Jude and Charlotte I took what I thought was a wrong turn and drove up a road beside the Wairakei Power Station, then decided to see where the road went.  We were pleasantly surprised when we came to a look-out where we could look down over the power station where they harness all that geothermal energy. 


I imagine the more creative amongst us will have some great images for this topic.  If you'd like to see them, they will be here.  Or better still, why not join us?

I have a feeling that choosing the Spotlight Photo this week won't be easy.  I really liked how Cheryl had a theme going when she put together her Spotlight photos from last week.  Good luck this week, Danielle. 

8 comments:

  1. What a brilliant place...you have done it proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geothermal Terraces...I learned something new today. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing. Great photos Pauline, really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pictures,Pauline. I enjoyed the geography lesson, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating adventure. Your photos are stunning. (I love that the hitchhiker started to wave to you as you continued to try to find your way here. So glad you found it. This is simply amazing.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lake Rotomahana ? Where's that I wondered. I thought I'd recognise most of the large lakes around Rotorua. I was surprised to find that I've been across it several times to the Pink and While Terraces. I'd either forgotten the name or actually not realised what it was. Strange. I suspect not many people in FSO will have a similar set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spoke to that same handsome fireman, he said he just came from up north. LOL, The truck parked near my house, and I went to see him.

    What are you doing tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!