Sunday 6 March 2016

Field days

Yesterday my friend, Chris and I enjoyed the sights and sounds of the Northland Field Days about an hour's drive away in Dargaville.   They have been a three day annual event since 1985.  I think the first time I attended was in the late 80s - time for another visit to see what had changed.  

Back in the day there were 80 exhibitors and it was considered a roaring success.   It has grown into the second largest agricultural event of its type in New Zealand with over 550 exhibitors and 25,000 visitors taking in the cutting edge agricultural technology and innovation.

The National Field Days are so crowded it's hard to wander at your own pace and take in the sights.  Not so at the local event.  

photo courtesy of http://northlandfielddays.co.nz/ (with the hills of home in the background)

It's not all agricultural, I couldn't list all the different sort of exhibitions that were there.  You could buy the latest in window cleaning technology or accept an offer of free lunch,  an angus beef sandwich or brown rice salad accompanied by a bottle of cold sparkling water.  It was hot and a cold drink much needed.  Have a free hearing test perhaps or plan an overseas trip.  Oh, and hey, why not have a little chat about a facelift while you are here!

Down one end of the field there were noisy tractors and motor bikes, at the other the sheep dog trials were underway while helicopter rides were operating in the next paddock.  There were many activities for children from racing miniature tractors to buggy rides behind these beautiful clydesdales.

 
We didn't see any of the politicians who were in attendance, taking advantage of the dense gathering of Northland businesses and Northland citizens.

Thanks for the idea for the day out, Chris. 

In the last six months or so I've joined a Seniors photo group.  We meet monthly to learn and share tips.  This month we are concentrating on portraits.  I'd got the horses while at the show, so on the way home I stopped to see if I could find any interested cows. 



Such beauty!

11 comments:

  1. Browsing around big exhibitions is a good way to put in a day. I think I stole that line from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those beautiful work horses!

    Thanks for your visit. You're right: there are a couple of things I'm missing and for the life of me I can't seem to put my fingers on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree they are beautiful Clydesdales. The farm I get the dog food from have about a dozen or more and they are gentle giants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh you drove a long way, I use to work in dargaville about 5 years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Northland Field Days sounds like an interesting tour to see whats on display. Beautiful horses and cow photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your portraits are wonderful. Love the horses and the cows. She is such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exotic and interesting exhibit. Something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun event.
    Loved the photo of the horses and the 1st one of the cow (what an expression).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Animal portraits are fun to take, but i can seldom get the subjects to sit still. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the sort of event that I love!
    The second cow 'portrait' is lovely - she is so winsome.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!